Well I think many of you have been guessing what the heck Industrial Design is all about. No, we don't just do toilet seats. This was what I was up to the past 6 weeks; the biggest project of Sem 1: Year One Design of Control Buttons.
Basically we're supposed to come up with 3 different buttons, be it a press button, a shift or a turn button; or whatever else. And all 3 have to belong to the same family and be made out of the same material.
Here's how the journey has been for me.
Week 1: My concept - Band Aid
My tutors asked me whether I was trying to humour them. God, I was so freaking pissed that day. It wrecked my entire week.
Basically we're supposed to come up with 3 different buttons, be it a press button, a shift or a turn button; or whatever else. And all 3 have to belong to the same family and be made out of the same material.
Here's how the journey has been for me.
Week 1: My concept - Band AidMy tutors asked me whether I was trying to humour them. God, I was so freaking pissed that day. It wrecked my entire week.
They asked me to do more research on the material and to test out different tactile reactions of buttons. So I did. (The square button you see on top was made out of black foam and a layer of PVC.)
The prototype that got approved. (That was Week 5!! Bloody hell, only one week to finish my final prototype.)Materials: Leather, MDF wood, Acrylic faceplate.
Now to get started: The wooden base. That's a plain wooden block with laser engravings of my design on it. The acrylic top faceplate was also made the same way. Laser engravers rock!
Once the basic shape is out, I used the miller machine to make depressions on the base to fit the buttons.
Next, I spray-paint the base flat black. (After a whole ton of sandpaper-ing by hand to a plastic-smooth finish, mind you.)
At night its back to more hand-carved depressions for my buttons to function best.At this point I realised that a plastic top plus leather probably wouldn't go well together. I wanted the top of my base to be made out of a certain type of fabric too; to compliment the leather buttons.
So I went to Chinatown to purchase this heavenly fabric. You guys should see and touch this thing. Ouuuuhhh.....
Spray-mounting the cloth onto my acrylic faceplate. That goes onto the wood; preventing my 3 buttons from falling out.
Once the faceplate is glued firmly onto the base, double-sided tape is used to mount the cloth on the sides.That's my French tutor.
Kept my fingers crossed.
Kept my fingers crossed.
That's how it looked like after six weeks. Haha, quite pretty. **Notice the changes from the start of this assignment.Positive Comments: It's very sensual; the fabric is very interesting; makes people wanna touch and caress it; blablabla










No comments:
Post a Comment