Monday, August 21, 2006

The August Update

The wait for a laptop is very frustrating.

Yeap, here I am in Ah Kiat’s room, on Ah Kiat’s chair, typing on Ah Kiat’s com which is coincidently on Ah Kiat’s worktable next to Ah Kiat’s 3-in-1 copier, printer, scanner thing. Will I ever get my OWN laptop or do I have to shift my bed in here too??!! Using people’s stuff ain’t sweet especially when you’re forced to use it EVERYDAY.

Well, what can we both do? I mean, the ENTIRE freaking NUS database is online, including lecture slots, class venues, HOMEWORK, lecture notes, etcetera, etcetera. Without Ah Kiat living next to me I might as well just rot and die an ignorant, stupid and clueless undergrad FRESHIE in NUS. But since he is living next to me, this gives me an almost full 24-hour access to the campus web portal; making me a not so ignorant, stupid and clueless undergrad FRESHIE. (Exceptions to access include: 1) Whenever Kiat’s disinfecting every square-inch of his room with Dettol. 2) When Lynette’s around. Thanks, man.J)

Other than that, life here is pretty much falling into place. It’s a great, great hall; Eusoff that is, being strategically placed next to the supper place, the bus terminal, my faculty, and of course the Arts Canteen. I’ve got cool neighbours too, starting from my best buddy Yee Kiat, (whose computer I’m constantly “parasiting” on). Adjacent to him would be undeniably the manliest man of all, Mr. Felix Gwee, the smokin’ MOS bartender, drinking army swimmer gym head (unconfirmed) house music maniac that just drives Andrew and Kiat crazy. They said he was the PERFECT MAN!! Could you even believe that? Personally I don’t think he’s the perfect man but he DID blow my coolness meter when I first met him. (What’s with me and meters anyway?)

Equally cool to godsend Felix Gwee would be Saf, the guy who lives in front of me. That guy, I tell you, is one awesome dude. He has an American accent, he’s Paki-Iranian-Singaporean-Malay and god knows what else. Pretty good looking with wavy long hair, beards and stuff; judging from the fact that girls in my faculty constantly want to ask him out. To me, the best thing about Saf is that he’s too friendly to be true. I mean, with all that cool vibe surrounding him, he could just choose to not even look at people for people to adore him. But guess what? He does the complete opposite! So we spend many moments talking to him.

Then there’s also this feminine theatre guy, Ali, and his sweet gal companion Kim (this one’s Kimberly). Walk around the fourth floor of Block B beyond 12 o’clock and you’d be sure to catch them hanging around. Ali’s conned me a few times by saying that he’s from Egypt and that he’s mixed Iranian taking American Studies. Lousy bugger. Kim’s just nice to talk to and to look at. And she has a cute purple fridge in her room too. Haha.

With all these interesting characters around, who could blame Kiat and me for feeling a little left out? We’re just nerdy guys trying hard to be not-so-nerdy. And with these constantly emerging influences around us, I’d say we’re well on our way.

No comments: