Okay, so I’ve spent the past wee hours of the morning making my remote control prototype. Task-check: one down, an estimated few million left to go.
It takes a whole lot of dedication and endurance to stay in design. For the first time ever, I had doubts about this course. To date, 3 of my fellow course mates have opted out of this nerve-wrecking course. Yesterday I was on the verge of just stomping on all my models to dust and start swearing to the entire world 3 times over. Just as I was about to strangle myself with the foam cutter, inspiration hit me like a train.
So I hung up my chicken-shit approach towards life and worked my ass off that morning. In the process I’ve thought of the TOP FIVE reasons why we should all keep fighting in our never-ending pursuit towards glory and success.
NUMBER FIVE: Expectations.
>>>>> Parents, family members and friends expect great things out of all of us. How could we bear the thought of letting these loved ones down? And I’m not just referring to the present; think of our future families, future children and yet-to-be friends. Dare you NOT live up to their expectations? But heck, the greatest drive is SELF-expectation. We might disappoint others but letting ourselves down is a big, fat, NO-NO.
Coming in at NUMBER FOUR: Seeing someone better than you.
>>>> Some might label it as jealousy but I’d rather see it as motivation. Here are some instances: When we mingle around smarter people we tend to study harder. Running with speedy sprinters? We burn those thigh muscles even more! Shit, that dude has a sharper nose than I do! Time to constantly squeeze my nostrils. With the right attitude, comparison equals improvement. Whether it’s “Survival of the Fittest” or “Kiasuism”, this form of “envious-motivation” deserves its rightful place at NUMBER FOUR.
At NUMBER THREE we have: Money
>>> This might be a huge number ONE to most, but I’ll get to that later. Money is one of the main reasons we are all NOT rockstars, NOT actors/actresses, NOT artists and NOT models. The dollar sign is the sole reason we’re all stuck in Universities we so utterly hate and doing things we would normally laugh at. In some rare cases *aherm* a select few of us get to do the things we love doing and end up working like dogs cause dogs....er.....like everything they do. Yeah.
Get ready for NUMBER TWO: Sexual drive.
>> HAH! I am completely sure when we’re driven by love and sex, nothing can stop us. Think about it.
And now. The moment of truth….!
Let us rise and honour NUMBER ONE. The uttermost ironically twisted and painfully cunning reason why we simply should not wuss out of whatever the hell it is we’re stuck at doing.
NUMBER ONE: When life spits in your face and tells you that you’re a born, motherfucking loser.
Now this, THIS one I really can’t stand! They come in forms of sick comments made by your tutors, sometimes even by your closest friends. They claim to have the god given right to place a certain judgment of you, telling you that you can’t make it, that you shouldn’t be here, yada-yada-yada. Yeah, at that moment the brain absorbs and deciphers those comments as razor-sharp daggers gnawing its way towards the fragile soul. Blood rushes to your face as your cold palms form angry fists; ready to lash out and knock off a whole row of teeth from his/her bulging gums.
Lets take a short moment to breathe here.
Ah, now if we DID do that, we would have lost the battle. Succumbing to rage isn’t a wise thing to do. It actually shows signs of weakness. We become weak when we lose control. In this case, giving up translates as losing control of our lives and principles.
So now, still feel like giving up?
Saturday, October 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
whoah! those are definite reasons/ pressures to succeed babe!
i think what drives you on is also the fact that you know that you can do it (anything) when you've overcome a certain threshold. its like hurdling. the first few are so difficult to get over but once you've pushed yourself hard enough, the next few get effortless. you can anticipate what you need to put into it and so you're not killing yourself trying any more eh?
wow great point eva....knowing that we can do it...hmmmm....very true....
my point just proved itself today... i finally FINALLY GOT MY BUTTONS CONCEPT APPROVED!!!! AFTER 4 FREAKING WEEKS!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
lets all go for a movie to celebrate, seriously.
Post a Comment